David writes:
When the sun starts to go down, the bats come out. In India we have observed bats the size of crows swooping in the evening sky. Here in Sri Lanka the bats are even bigger.
This week I was walking in a park and encounterd some bats. It took me a moment before I realized the screeching in the tree-tops was not birds, but bats. They make a high-pitched noise because they navigate and locate food using sonar more than sight. I always though bats were nocturnal, but here was some bat activity in mid-afternoon.
 |
| Hanging upside down, waiting for evening. |
 |
I was a little nervous standing under these trees.
The air was filled with high-pitched screeching. |
 |
| I always though bats were nocturnal. |
 |
This one lay on the ground sick or injured,
screaming and bubbling at the mouth.
A young man offered it some water. |
 |
Body: the size of a grey squirrel in the USA.
Wing span: I estimate 28 inches. |
Why aren't we in India? Click here to read our blog post about India visa requirements.
No comments:
Post a Comment