September 15, 2012

Healthy and Thankful

Shari writes:
I was diagnosed in 1977 with chronic kidney disease at the young age of 11. For six months I had to endure kidney dialysis.

On dialysis in 1977 with my mother.
At age 11 I weighed only 50 lbs.

Before the transplant.

Fortunately, my brother (16 years older than me) offered me his kidney. His generous gift gave me the health that allowed me to graduate from high school and get a BA from Houghton College in western New York.


After the transplant.

Since then, I’ve had to return to dialysis at two different intervals between transplants. Dialysis has sustained me for a total of ten years of my life.

I received my third kidney transplant in March 2006. Since I no longer need dialysis, David and I were able to fulfill our life-long dream of traveling overseas. Our first trip together in the fall of 2007 took us to India. Then we returned to India in August 2010 and lived there for 14 months. I count it an amazing privilege!

During my journey with kidney disease, many times I have clearly experienced the Lord’s intimate and personal touch.

When I needed a second transplant, my mother had wanted to donate her kidney to me but the doctor advised that it would be a health risk for her. The awaited call that a deceased donor kidney was available for me came on the morning of Mother’s Day. What a personal Mother’s Day gift for my mom, with the Lord’s signature on the entire day!

In 2006, I was interviewed by the Portland Tribune for an article on kidney transplants. I was not told when it would be published. It finally showed up in the news-stands on August 1st. I smiled at the Lord’s timing—my birthday! I tangibly felt His love for me. He cares about every detail of my life.

Doing my dialysis treatment
at home in 2004, Portland, OR.

There have been bumps in the road, and a few times when I’ve barely escaped death. I recently wrote about one of those times and submitted it to an essay contest sponsored by Renal Support Network, an organization dedicated to providing support and education to kidney patients. My essay received honorable mention!

This was not an easy essay to write since it reveals a time in my life that I’m not proud of. Yet it’s an important part of my history, and I hope it will help others avoid the mistakes I made.

Click here to read the essay “Words that Changed My Life.”

Since my life was restricted to dialysis for many years, I’m so thankful that the Lord allowed me to go to India! He protected my health the entire time I was there and my heart was filled with His joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment